Few innovations have shaped our world more profoundly than the automobile. Offering affordable transportation for all, cars opened the country to travel, created a variety of new jobs and services, and forever changed the landscape. AutoGuide, an online automotive news and review site, recently looked at some of the most revolutionary cars produced over the last century and compiled a list of their Top 10 Most Important Cars of All Time.
- Ford Model T – The first vehicle designed for the masses with over 15 million produced, the Ford Model T was produced between 1908 and 1927.
- Chrysler Airflow – Only available from 1934 to 1937, the Great Depression era Chrysler Airflow was a truly innovative model, pioneering the future of automotive design but unfortunately too futuristic for the time.
- Volkswagen Beetle – Originally designed in the 1930s, the Volkswagen Beetle is not only one of the most recognizable cars in the world, but also one of the most popular.
- BMC Mini – An iconic of British automobile history, the Mini helped change the standards of vehicle design, focusing on smaller, fuel efficient models that still offered comfortable seating for four.
- Toyota Prius – As the world’s first mass-produced hybrid vehicle, the Toyota Prius has not only become a best seller, but helped create the ever increasing demand for fuel-efficient, environmentally friendly cars.
- Porsche 911 – Produced for almost 50 years, the Porsche 911 remains one of the most popular sports cars on the road and the racetrack.
- Google’s Driverless Car – While still more of an idea than a reality, Google’s autonomous vehicle is paving the way towards a future dominated by safer, self-driving transportation options.
- Chrysler Minivans – Offering functional and spacious seating and cargo room, Chrysler Minivans have been a family stable since their introduction in the 80s.
- Bugatti Veyron – Capable of hitting over 250 miles per hour, the Bugatti Veyron is one of “the most awe-inspiring production cars ever built” with luxurious features, exotic materials, and more than impressive power.
- Toyota Corolla – Launched in 1966, the Toyota Corolla has sold approximately 40 million units making it the bestselling model worldwide thanks to its strong reliability and comfortable, family-friendly interior and features.
What do you think of AutoGuide’s top picks? Sound off below and let us know what models would make your Top 10 Most Important Cars of All Time list.